She Sews Her Own Clothes – No Really

Bucket list milestone.  I sewed something to wear.  I never thought I would but I feel such a sense of accomplishment.  Thanks to Roxanne Lasky for inspiring me with her lovely dress at our workshop. I made a pattern from a pullover summer coverup I liked.  I dyed my first ever fabric- in this case linen with sumac in an iron pot and used this lovely fabric to make the tunic.  I stitched the side seams and shoulder seams on the machine, and did the rest by hand, letting little bits of golden thread show through.  My homage to wabi sabi.  I like to embellish with vintage buttons so I picked out five (odds again) and sewed them off center at the neck.  What do you think?  I’m ready to try again…tomorrow maybe.

IMG_6412

I just love a mix of old buttons, don’t you?

IMG_6409

Front of the tunic.

IMG_6415

Back of the tunic.

Some details of the wonderful sumac leaves.

IMG_6216

Roxanne on the left at our workshop with Sandra Brownlee, see the lovely rust dye she achieved on her dress. You can click on the photo to make it larger.

Comments

1. Your tunic is so cool! I love the rustic look and the off-center buttons.

2. Nancy Pike says:

Definitely a winner! I love the dye results and the buttons are great. Are they some you picked up from Nancy Z?

3. You did a great job Corrine!!! I like it! Hugs! deb

4. Nicely done!

5. Judy Shea says:

So different and natural. Like you.

6. pamelaarts says:

Love it! Everything about it.

7. Denise Spillane says:

I love it, my style!

8. This is really something different, I want to touch the fabric, looks so good. Wish you well o wear to it! Hugs, Valerie

9. Oh Corrine I absolutely love it! I just love eco dyeing and have had some good results with silk. One thing missing here! – you wearing the wonderful garment on completion!
    xox Suzy

10. It’s lovely – so much so because you dyed your own fabric. You should make more clothes! Love it

11. It’s fabulous and so you!!

12. kampysgirl says:

I absolutely love this!! Wonderful job Corrine!!!Be careful, you may be taking orders soon! xo

13. very cool… love this… will you be making more??? xox

14. Julie Mackinder says:

I love it Corinne!!

15. Oh Corrine, it is a wonderful tunic you sewed yourself, the fabric is GORGEOUS , dyed with the tumeric, which unfortunately are not to be found here in DK- You created a fantastic pattern with those leaves, and the different buttens looks so sweet !!
    You go ,girl,- what is next ???
    Hug from Dorthe

16. Sweet! And awesome fabric, to boot! xo

17. Very nice job! And congrats for your first sewed clothing piece! I finally re-set up my new sewing table since the daughter moved home and I lost the space I had waited patiently for in her room. But am sewing the painted pieces we we on that hot day. I am going for some art quilt hangings. And yes- I still have weekends! Hurrah! Though I wish they were 5 days and the school week only 2!

18. Well it’s wonderful down to the great button embellishment!
    Brilliant use of your lovely eco dyeing.
    I can only imagine you are very excited to make your next piece.
    I salute you oxo

19. Oh, the buttons are great!
    Sweet work!

20. I can see why you feel accomplished after making this tunic. I’ve sewn clothes, and I’ve dyed fabric with a little box of Ritz, but those leaf prints are very wonderful. The mix of buttons balances it out perfectly.

21. if i ever will sew something to wear (well, except scarves or such) it will be a tunic! you motivated me so much with your wonderful sample, i do Bookmark it! gorgeous outcome of the dyeing!

22. Definitely a wow! Fabulous natural dying, what great patterns you’ve made, I love the simple shape, and the addition of the buttons finishes it off perfectly. Perfect!

23. Unique and with a special story to tell. Wear it well !

24. Loved that you were able to cross something off your bucket list, and I’m also glad you made that lovely tunic from SCRATCH. But, of course, what intrigued me the most was the fantastic fabric you used to create this work of art!

BTW, thanks SO much for visiting me while I was gone. It means a LOT to me, honest!.

25. oooh, I’m in love with your tunic! That’s exactly the sort of thing I would wear. Love how you dyed it, and the idea of the buttons is genius. Great work!

26. Gosh – this looks extraordinary! Super!

27. So beautiful. It looks fantastic!!!!